If you know fractals, I get the membrane effect by applying the real sin function to one of the real or imaginary components of the complex number between each iteration. If you don’t know fractals, it doesn’t matter. If you want to know more, well that is a topic for a future blog post. Today’s topic is about building a web site.
Is anyone reading this? I kind of doubt it. But if so, please drop a comment. Any comment is welcome, the web page, the art, the mathematics, the state of health care in the US. Although today what I value most is comments on how the web page looks.
I chose WordPress to avoid all the rookie mistakes I would make if I built the site from scratch. For example, I certainly did not want to hand build a comments section and user management. However, the simple things become more complicated. I have not idea how to do some things in WordPress that would be simple HTML or CSS tweaks on a static page.
I like how the site looks now. Pages should work equally well on a phone, tablet, or monitor. So please let me know if you notice something broken. Also point me towards web pages that you think have nice design for ideas.
I still worked on fractals, even though I put the web site on the back burner. I have several fractal images sitting on the hard drive that I plan on posting here. This is mainly an exercise for me. I need to get into the habit of posting regularly. Like anything, that takes practice. It needs to become a habit.
Last year I was working on a custom theme for the web page. Now I no longer remember the changes I made, or where I was headed. After trying out some standard themes, I do remember why I wanted to make a custom theme. I also upgraded to WordPress 5.0. The big deal in the new version is a new editor. The editor is getting a lot of buzz. It must be good. But it is also another learning curve, and more friction slowing me down.
Here we go again. About a month ago I had a failure while updating WordPress that left the web page in a non-functional state. It turns out that somehow my directory on the server was locked and I could not make changes. This required someone at the hosting company to fix. Apparently either this was a very difficult problem to fix, or the hosting company was trying to punish me for not buying a premium service contract. Anyway, it took them three weeks to make what should have been an easy fix.
In the process, I blew away the old web site and decided to start over. This may take a while…